Diablo 3 Demon Hunter Skills
In this Diablo 3 Demon Hunter skills guide, we will be providing a full list of D3 Demon Hunter abilities as well as providing information on what the runes do and even discussing the best rune and skill pairs.
This particular Demon Hunter skills guide focuses on “active skills” (i.e. your abilities). If you are interested in “passive skills” (i.e. passive traits that are always active), you should see our Diablo 3 Demon Hunter Passive Skills list.
Diablo 3 Demon Hunter Skills – Categories
Before we get into the actual skills list, you should know that all of the Diablo 3 Demon Hunter skills are broken down into multiple categories: Primary, Secondary, Defensive, Archery, Devices, and Shadow. We will break down the Demon Hunter skills into the 6 category types as this is how you will find the skills arranged in game.
The game recommends that you pick one skill of each type, but I recommend going into elective mode (open up the menu and turn it on) so you can pick your own skill set based on the information below.
Instead of using these generic category names which are more often about naming the type of attack than its actual function, you should think of your skills as belonging to one of three categories: Hatred Generator, Hatred Spender, and Discipline Spender. Your active skills either generate hatred, spend hatred, or spend discipline and you will want some of each in order to maximize your resource pools.
Diablo 3 Demon Hunter Abilities List
Below, you will find a full list of Diablo 3 Demon Hunter skills and their general function. For more specific information and information on the runes, click on the ability name to head to a full page dedicated to that specific skill.
Finally, note that the developers are constantly tweaking the levels and percentages of the skills in-game, so this list may be slightly inaccurate following a patch. I try to get it back up to date as soon as possible (a few days) after a new patch if anything changed. With that said, on with the list!
Diablo 3 Demon Hunter Skills – Primary
Primary skills are all Hatred generators that you can use to help get your Hatred back. These tends to be slightly weaker than other abilities but are necessary as they give you offensive power when you need to regenerate Hatred.
- Hungering Arrow. Unlocked at level 1. Generates 3 Hatred. This fires a magic arrow which deals 115% weapon damage that automatically seeks out targets (like Guided Arrow from Diablo 2). Additionally, this ability has a 35% chance to pierce through targets and can pierce through a single target multiple times, making it a great single target spell.
- Entangling Shot. Unlocked at level 3. Generates 3 Hatred. Fires an arrow which deals 75% of weapon damage as shadow to a single target and then snares that target and up to 1 nearby enemy, reducing their movement speed by 60% for 2 seconds.
- Bola Shot. Unlocked at level 11. Generates 3 Hatred. Fires an explosive bola which sticks to the target and blows up 1 second later, dealing 130% weapon damage as fire to the target and 110% weapon damage as fire to enemies within 7 yards. This is your best AoE-oriented Hatred generating Diablo 3 Demon Hunter skill.
- Grenades. Unlocked at level 15. Generates 3 Hatred. Toss out 3 grenades which explode for 95% weapon damage as fire each. Only melee-oriented Hatred generator for the Demon Hunter.
Diablo 3 Demon Hunter Skills List – Secondary
The “secondary” category simply refers to some of your early Hatred spenders. These tend to be not very flashy and typically cost less Hatred spenders.
- Impale. Unlocked at level 2. Costs 25 Hatred. Throw a knife that deals 250% weapon damage.
- Rapid Fire. Unlocked at level 5. Costs 20 Hatred initially and then 10 Hatred per “attack” while channeling. Deals 6 mini ranged attacks which add up to 228% weapon damage per round based on your weapon’s attack speed. You are deducted 10 Hatred based on your weapon speed. If your weapon attacks one time per second, you lose 10 Hatred per second while channeling.
- Chakram. Unlocked at level 12. Costs 10 Hatred. Throw a swirling Chakram which deals 150% weapon damage to enemies along its path. Has a strange swirling path, making it somewhat unreliable but has a low Hatred cost.
- Elemental Arrow. Unlocked at level 20. Costs 20 Hatred. Deals 155% of weapon damage as fire to all enemies it hits (it pierces in a straight line).
Diablo 3 Demon Hunter Abilities Guide – Defensive
Defensive abilities are designed to help the Demon Hunter kite enemies and avoid damage. These tend to cost Discipline rather than Hatred and many do not do damage directly.
- Caltrops. Unlocked at level 4. Costs 6 Discipline. Place a trap on the ground which springs when an enemy gets close to it. The trap slows enemies within 12 yards by 60% and lasts for 6 seconds.
- Smoke Screen. Unlocked at level 8. Costs 14 Discipline. Vanish into a wall of smoke, becoming invisible for 2 seconds.
- Shadow Power. Unlocked at level 16. Costs 14 Discipline. Gain 20% of all damage done as life for 3 seconds.
Diablo 3 Demon Hunter Skills – Hunting
Hunting skills are like Defensive skills in that they cost Discipline but instead of being designed to avoid damage, most of them are buff-oriented and allow you to do more damage indirectly by using your Discipline.
- Vault. Unlocked at level 9. Costs 8 Discipline. Tumble 35 yards ahead to avoid damage. This basically lets you roll forward about 35 yards at what I would guess is about 300% of regular movement speed. Good for getting distance or avoiding projectiles.
- Preparation. Unlocked at level 13. 45 second cooldown. Instantly restores all Discipline on use.
- Companion. Unlocked at level 17. Costs 10 Discipline. Summons a Raven companion to fight with you which periodically hits enemies for 30% of weapon damage.
- Marked for Death. Unlocked at level 21. Costs 3 Discipline. Marks an enemy; marked enemies take 12% more damage from all sources (including allies) for the next 30 seconds.
Diablo 3 Demon Hunter Abilities Guide – Devices
Devices include non-traditional weaponry and traps that deal damage in some form or another. These tend to cost Hatred.
- Evasive Fire. Unlocked at level 14. Generates 4 Hatred, Costs 4 Discipline if a backflip is used. Fires an arrow that deals 125% weapon damage. If an enemy is within 10 yards in front of you, you backflip 15 yards directly back from where your character is facing.
- Fan of Knives. Unlocked at level 17. Costs 20 Hatred. 10 second cooldown. Deals 320% weapon damage to all enemies within 10 yards. Enemies hit with the knives have their movement speed reduced by 60% for 2 seconds.
- Spike Trap. Unlocked at level 17. Costs 15 Hatred. Lay a trap which arms after 1.2 seconds (meaning it will not explode for at least 1.2 seconds). When triggered, it deals 275% of weapon damage to all enemies within 8 yards. You cannot have more than 3 Spike Traps active at one time.
- Sentry. Unlocked at level 25. Costs 10 Discipline. Lay a turret on the ground which fires at nearby enemies for 20% of weapon damage. Lasts 30 seconds.
D3 Demon Hunter Skills List – Archery
The skills in the Archery section are all bow-based skills and tend to cost a lot of Hatred and have strong effects. They also tend to be Area of Effect oriented.
- Strafe. Unlocked at level 19. Costs 15 Hatred. Deal 120% of weapon damage while moving at 65% of movement speed. This means that you can effectively run away from snared enemies while using this Demon Hunter skill.
- Multishot. Unlocked at level 22. Costs 40 Hatred. Sprays arrows in a wide arc, dealing 165% of weapon damage to all enemies hit by its arrows.
- Cluster Arrow. Unlocked at level 27. Costs 50 Hatred. Fires an explosive arrow which deals 200% of weapon damage as fire to enemies near the explosion and then explodes into a bunch of mini-grenades which deal 100% of weapon damage as fire each.
- Rain of Vengeance. Unlocked at level 30. 45 second cooldown. Calls down arrows over a massive area to deal 75% weapon damage per tick (based on attack speed) to all enemies within the area for 5 seconds.
Diablo 3 Demon Hunter Skills Guide – Conclusion
The Demon Hunter has a variety of skills available to it, but you can only use six! You can use the information in this Diablo 3 Demon Hunter skills guide to help you decide what the best abilities for your Demon Hunter are and what combinations work best.